Grand Rapids Traffic Violations Attorney
Traffic ticket defense lawyers fight fines and license penalties
Traffic tickets carry potentially heavy fines and also can be time-consuming and inconvenient to challenge. But the impact of a ticket goes beyond the immediate costs. You could be assessed penalty points that put your license in jeopardy of suspension. Points also wind up on your insurance policy, which can increase your premiums and possibly cause your insurer to drop you. Fortunately, there are remedies available. A criminal lawyer at The Fiorletta Law Group, PLLC in Grand Rapids can seek to have the fine reduced or to have the ticket thrown out altogether. As a Grand Rapids traffic violations attorney, I have helped countless clients assert their rights in court with positive results. I’m ready to go to work for you.
Aggressive representation for a wide variety of traffic infractions
In Grand Rapids, high-speed auto accidents frequently occur on major arteries such as I-96, I-196 and US 131. To deter driving behaviors that contribute to these crashes, state police patrol vigilantly flag motorists for violations. Local police on surface streets also look to deter accidents at busy intersections and in residential neighborhoods.
Common reasons for a traffic ticket, along with the license penalty points for convictions, are:
- Causing an accident resulting in death — Six points
- DUI — Six points
- Failing to stop and give identification at the scene of an accident — Six points
- Reckless driving — Six points
- Refusal to take a chemical test — Six points
- Fleeing or eluding a police officer — Six points
- Drag racing — Four points
- Operating under age 21 with any blood alcohol content — Four points
- Speeding 16 mph or more over the limit — Four points
- Failure to yield for emergency vehicles — Four points
- Careless driving — Three points
- Failing to heed a traffic signal or stop sign — Three points
- Improper passing — Three points
- Speeding at 11 through 15 mph over the limit — Three points
- Failure to stop for a school bus — Three points
- Open alcohol container violation — Two points
In addition, fines for infractions could run into hundreds of dollars depending on the seriousness of the infraction. Finally, your license can be suspended for periods running from 90 days to four years depending on the circumstances and on your prior record. As a criminal lawyer, I know how to fight tickets and have a track record of successful defense.
Additional penalties for CDL holders
If you are a commercial driver, you should be aware that the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) lists numerous traffic offenses that could disqualify you. In addition, you must report any traffic violation convictions to your employer within 30 days. This requirement covers all vehicles, including your own car, truck or motorcycle.
Is it worth hiring a lawyer for a traffic ticket?
When you factor in the immediate cost of the fine, the hardship of losing your license and the increased cost of insurance, hiring a Grand Rapids criminal lawyer to fight your traffic ticket can be well worth it. If you drive for Uber or another rideshare service or otherwise drive for a living, you’ll want to fight every ticket because your job depends on keeping your record clean.
Contact a proven defense lawyer for a free consultation on traffic violations
The Fiorletta Law Group, PLLC in Grand Rapids fights traffic citations for clients throughout Michigan. Call 616-717-1334 or contact me online to schedule a free consultation. My office is conveniently located just off I-96.