Grand Rapids Truck Accident Attorney Represents Injured Victims
Skilled advocate aggressively pursues full compensation from all responsible parties
If you’ve been seriously injured in a collision with a tractor trailer or another heavy commercial vehicle, it’s time to see a Grand Rapids truck accident lawyer. Commercial trucks, by virtue of their massive size, can do incredible damage and inflict catastrophic injuries. If you or a loved one has been harmed, you deserve full compensation for your losses. Large trucking companies have substantial insurance coverage but they also have deep legal departments dedicated to limiting any payouts to victims. At The Fiorletta Law Group, PLLC in Grand Rapids, you’ll find an experienced lawyer who can aggressively take the fight to them.
Common causes of Michigan truck accidents
The trucking industry is heavily regulated precisely because of the destructive potential of large truck crashes. Unfortunately, many trucking companies are lax when it comes to safety and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) does not have enough inspectors to assure compliance. Common causes of truck accidents include:
- Driver fatigue — Although regulations limit the amount of time a driver can be behind the wheel, drivers and their supervisors often exceed the legal limits.
- DUI — Although drunk driving accidents involving commercial drivers are rare, some drivers may be under the influence of stimulants and other drugs.
- Equipment failure — Failed brakes and blown tires are among the most common types of equipment failures that cause large truck accidents.
- Poorly loaded cargo — Top-heavy trailers can be unstable, especially on sharp turns or in high winds. Overloaded trucks can have difficulty braking, leading to collisions.
- Passenger car interference — When a car cuts off a tractor trailer or semi-truck, the result could be a jackknife or other accident, affecting multiple vehicles.
- Poor roadways — All vehicles are at greater risk on badly maintained roads, but large trucks, which are less maneuverable, have a much harder time avoiding potholes and other obstacles.
- Weather conditions — Snow and ice can cause large trucks to lose traction and to slide or veer out of direction, colliding with other vehicles or structures.
I consult with investigators and qualified accident reconstruction experts to establish the cause of a crash and to build evidence for proving liability.
Common injuries from commercial truck accidents
Commercial truck accidents happen less frequently than collisions between passenger cars, but the results are generally more severe and sometimes catastrophic. Victims may sustain:
- Multiple bone fractures
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury and paralysis
- Severed limbs or amputations
- Crush injuries
- Internal organ injuries
- Severe burns or scarring
- Permanent disfigurement or disability
- Loss of vision or hearing
A catastrophic injury is one that is permanent and severe and which requires long-term medical care and assisted living.
Compensation available to truck accident victims
Victims of truck accidents are entitled to personal injury damages, which include compensation for medical bills, lost income and pain and suffering. If your injuries are severe, your future depends heavily on getting an adequate settlement or jury award. I have a strong record as an auto accident attorney with specific experience in commercial truck accident cases. I am ready to fight aggressively to recover the compensation you deserve.
Contact a Michigan trucking accident lawyer for a free consultation
The Fiorletta Law Group, PLLC in Grand Rapids represents victims of trucking accidents throughout Michigan. Call 616-717-1334 or contact me online to schedule a free consultation.