Grand Rapids Divorce Attorney Works to Protect Spouses’ Interests
Dedicated Michigan lawyer assists with custody and financial issues
Spouses who are going through a divorce must make important decisions during a period of emotional turmoil. The Fiorletta Law Group, PLLC in Grand Rapids offers comprehensive legal support to Western Michigan spouses in matrimonial litigation, settlement negotiations and alternative methods that can be sued to resolve disputes over divorce terms. With more than 30 years of legal experience, Grand Rapids divorce attorney Allen Fiorletta has the insight and skill to provide strong counsel on issues that will affect you for years to come.
Experienced adviser outlines options for clients when a marriage ends
Ending your marriage presents many different challenges, but the guidance of a knowledgeable family law attorney can help you maintain a measure of control over the proceedings. I take the time to discuss the options that exist regarding:
- Grounds — Michigan is a no-fault divorce state, so the only legal ground for terminating a marriage is that the relationship has broken down and cannot be repaired. However, marital misconduct such as adultery or abusive behavior might affect custody and alimony determinations.
- Contested vs. uncontested divorce — When couples agree on each aspect of their divorce, such as arrangements for property division, custody and alimony, I will assist in the preparation of a marital settlement agreement. In uncontested divorces as well as cases that go to trial, I make every legal effort to safeguard your interests. Though there might not be conflict over terms, couples without children must wait at least two months between filing and the final order terminating the marriage. For parents, the timeframe is at least six months.
- Collaborative divorce — Departing from the traditional adversarial divorce process might save you time and money while cutting down on the friction between you and your spouse. My firm represents clients in collaborative divorces where parties work as a team, share information and bring in professionals where necessary to achieve consensus on marriage dissolution terms.
Some divorces are quite amicable. Others are highly contested. Whatever type of breakup you’re going through, you can rely on me for sound counsel and assertive representation that helps you start the next phase of your life on a positive note.
Skillful litigator handles child support and alimony arrangements
My firm provides personalized advice to Western Michigan residents during their divorce, and creates an effective strategy to achieve their objectives on matters such as:
- Alimony — If a party requests spousal support payments, my firm outlines the factors that courts use when making these decisions. Whether you’re the party seeking alimony or facing a request to make payments, I strive to achieve a fair outcome.
- Child support — Both parents are responsible for funding the expenses associated with raising their child. In initial child support proceedings as well as modification and enforcement matters, my firm delivers effective counsel.
- Property distribution — When spouses don’t agree on a division of marital assets and debts, my firm litigates equitable distribution matters in order to give spouses the best chance of a proper resolution.
- Child custody and visitation — Establishing suitable arrangements for child custody and visitation should be top priority for divorcing parents. Determining what is in a young person’s best interests might be complicated, but I look for creative ways to develop a parenting time plan that gives sons and daughters the ability to thrive while maintaining meaningful relationships with both parents.
I am dedicated to the well-being of my clients and their children throughout the divorce process and handle the difficult tasks so that you can concentrate on moving forward.
Contact a thorough Michigan divorce lawyer for a free initial consultation
The Fiorletta Law Group, PLLC in Grand Rapids represents clients throughout Western Michigan in divorce proceedings and related matters. To make an appointment for a free initial consultation, please call 616-717-1334 or contact me online.